Saturday, March 28, 2009

A question no one feels like answering, am I right?

Has anyone read the poem "The Moon" by Henry Thoreau? Does anyone have any idea what the central idea is? Or the theme? It's really confusing me. And I know no one is going to answer this, no one seems to answer these kinds of questions, only really stupid ones, not ones that really help people! Please help?



I read it. The way I see it, it can be taken two ways. The first way is at face value. You view it as a tribute to the moon. How beautiful it is, and how it's always shining.


The second way to view the poem (to what I read into it), is that it's about a women that he loves.





"The full-orbed moon with unchanged ray


Mounts up the eastern sky,


Not doomed to these short nights for aye,


But shining steadily"





Seems to say that he thinks she's always beautiful.





"She does not wane, but my fortune,


Which her rays do not bless,


My wayward path declineth soon,


But she shines not the less."





Says (in my opinion) that he thinks that time is very good to her. Though troubles may come for him, and he may be getting older, she seems to stay the same way.





"And if she faintly glimmers here,


And paled is her light,


Yet alway in her proper sphere


She's mistress of the night."





It seems that he's kind of taking a diferent person's perspective here. Thinking 'she might be getting older (as we all do), but she still holds that unique air of beauty and grace'.


Which (to him), none can match.








P.S. Feel free to rate the poem I have up (you can find it in my questions).




*giggles*

No comments:

Post a Comment